The biggest risks in rail construction projects are often underground. Fugro provides a clear picture of ground conditions and structure to reduce risk and uncertainty for rail construction and maintenance.
Whether you need specific information from a single site, or a complex regional study involving a suite of integrated geophysical and geotechnical techniques, we can help.
Geotechnics and Engineering Geophysics
A thorough knowledge of ground conditions is essential to understand and predict the performance of underground and surface rail assets. With a broad engineering geotechnical capability, we provide high resolution insight within a few centimetres of the surface, revealing geological stratigraphy and structure to depths of more than a kilometre.
Our fully integrated range of geotechnical ground investigation and consultancy services includes surface and borehole geophysics, drilling, cone penetration testing and laboratory-based testing and analysis.
We provide a range of testing, inspection and assessment services for rail bridges, tunnels, station buildings and trackside assets.
Projects may be undertaken to investigate defects or problems at the construction stage or during the active life of a structure, for example where information is needed for structural assessment or change of use. With over 20 years’ experience, our team has expertise in investigating construction materials and building performance using a wide range of technology. Where possible, nondestructive methods are used, and where necessary, samples are taken for more detailed inspection and analysis.
- Determining thickness and hidden structure
- Investigation of cracking, voids, and delamination
- Construction materials testing
- Corrosion and moisture surveys
- Utility mapping
Fugro’s site investigation team comprises engineers, geologists and scientists who are supported by advanced technologies and systems, many of which were developed in-house. With these specialist resources, we can readily respond to your challenges, whether they are ordinary or extraordinary.
- Local knowledge of soil conditions
- Construction practices and supplier networks gained from global projects
- Unique drilling capabilities and paralleled experience in soft soils on all types of terrain
- Large array of drilling equipment, CPT equipment and personnel
- Certified testing laboratories
- Outstanding programmes that ensure safe performance in demanding field conditions